Main Logo for Providence College

Living on Campus: FAQs

Living on a college campus is a new experience for the majority of our first year residents. Here are answers to some common questions:

1. What if I do not get along with my roommate?
It may take some time and effort to adjust to living in a residence hall and sharing your space with one, two, or three other people, but living with people who are different from yourself is an important component of your co-curricular education. As you transition to PC, your Resident Assistant (RA) can assist you and your roommate develop boundaries, set expectations, and work-through any concerns that develop. Building a positive roommate relationship may be work, but we promise it will be worth the effort.

In the event a student finds his or her roommate is incompatible, the Office of Residence Life & Housing has programs and policies in place to help students work through the situation.  Current students can find more information on the MyPC Portal.

2. What is an RA/HD?
Every residence building at Providence College is staffed by a live-on professional staff member and a team of sophomore, junior, and senior student leaders who serve as resources to all resident students. Resident Assistants (RAs) receive intensive training and are prepared to provide support and enhance the living environment for resident students during their time as members of the PC community. Residence Hall Directors (HDs) are professional administrators living on campus who supervise Resident Assistants and are responsible for the management of their assigned buildings.

3. Do I need a printer?
Providence College has printing available in the library, computer labs, the Slavin Center and in Davis Lounge, which are available to every student. However, students are encouraged to carefully consider their anticipated printing needs and to review the PC Prints program information here (requires login to the MyPC portal).

4. Is there cable television in my room?
Yes, cable television is provided, however, the College does not provide cable cords so you should discuss with your roommate(s) who will bring the cord.

5. What does my meal plan include?
All freshmen residing on campus have an unlimited meal plan. This meal plan includes:

  • Unlimited meals at Raymond Dining Hall, from Sunday through Saturday
  • $140 in Friar bucks per semester at Alumni Hall Food Court
  • 5 guest passes per semester at Raymond Dining Hall (for five guests without cost)
  • Parents eat for free in Raymond Dining Hall

6. What are the dining hours?
Visit the Dining Services website for detailed meal information and hours of service during breaks in the College’s Academic Calendar.  You can find the most current Dining Information here.

7. What is hall council?
The Residence Hall Council is a leadership opportunity for all students living on campus. Hall Council coordinates programs, activities, and events with the support of Residence Life & Housing staff.  The Hall Council can even initiate hall improvement projects!

8. What transportation is provided?
All students can ride the Rhode Island public transportation for free with their student ID. There is also a neighborhood and East Side shuttle service throughout the week and weekend.

9. Is there Wi-Fi or do I need a cord?
Providence College is a wireless campus and provides Wi-Fi everywhere on campus. It is suggested that you bring an Ethernet cord with you just in case of any complications or issues.

10. What size sheets do I need?
The majority of the mattresses on campus are extra-long and do require extra-long sheets, with the exception of McVinney Hall. Extra-long sheets will still fit however, and you will be able to use them again in your future housing assignments.

11. What is not allowed in the room?
We have a full list of what to bring and what not to bring when moving on campus.

12. What type of security is provided in and around the residence halls?
Residence halls are only accessible via swipe access of individual students PC IDs. Each student’s room is locked either by card access or individual codes.

Security is present on campus 24 hours a day 365 days a year; they may be contacted for emergency situations at (401) 865-2222. The Department of Public Safety employs 35 Public Safety Officers on campus who are available to respond to emergency situations 24 hours a day. Public Safety patrols the interior of campus including the buildings as well as patrolling the borders of campus. At any time, students may call for an escort back to their residence hall from around campus if they feel the need.

For additional information about safety on the Providence College campus, please visit the Office of Public Safety website.

13. Are there any co-ed residence halls?
Most traditional residence halls are either all-male or all-female buildings. Aquinas Hall and Fennell Hall are both co-ed, however, they are co-ed by wing.  Students who live in either building are only able to access wings occupied by the same gender.  All apartment and suite buildings are co-ed, but they are single gender by unit.

14. Where is the Office of Residence Life & Housing located?
Residence Life & Housing is located in Slavin 105.  The office is open from 8:30am-4:30pm weekdays with extended evening hours during the academic year

15. When are students permitted to live off-campus or in apartments/suites?
Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors are required to live on campus. Seniors are allowed to move off campus without restriction.

16. Is housing available during breaks?
Housing is available during all breaks with consent from Residence Life. All students who want to remain on campus during breaks must apply to stay in a residence hall or apartment building that will remain open.

17. Who do I contact for maintenance issues in my room?
If you have any maintenance issues in your room, you can contact FixIt at

18. Who do I contact for technological issues?
If you have any technological issues including cable, internet, or land line connectivity you may contact Information Technology’s Help Desk at (401) 865-4357.