Residence Hall Opening/Closing & Break Housing
2019-2020 Open/Close Dates
Our Residence Halls are officially closed during Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring, and Easter breaks. However, housing will be provided for students who meet the criteria for break housing. See “Break Housing” below for more information.
- Thursday, August 22, 2019: First Year Student Move-In (first-year student move-in information)
- Sunday, August 25, 2019: Returning Student Move-In (returning student move-in information)
- Fall Early Arrivals: The Office of Residence Life & Housing facilitates early arrival for the fall semester for students with exceptional circumstances or those required to return to campus early. Approvals are also decided on the basis of available facilities. Click here for more information about fall early arrivals.
- Tuesday, November 26, 2019: Thanksgiving Break Begins, Residence Halls Close at 10:0opm
- Sunday, December 1, 2019: Thanksgiving Break Ends, Residence Halls Open at 12:00 noon
- Saturday, December 14, 2019: Winter Break Begins, Residence Halls Close at 8:00pm
- Sunday, January 12, 2020: Winter Break Ends, Residence Halls Open at 12:00 noon
- Friday, March 6, 2020: Spring Break Begins, Residence Halls Close at 8:00pm
- Sunday, March 15, 2020: Spring Break Ends, Residence Halls Open at 12:00 noon
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020: Easter Break Begins, Residence Halls Close at 10:00pm
- Monday, April 13, 2020: Easter Break Ends, Residence Halls Open at 12:00 noon
- Saturday, May 9, 2020: All Residence Halls Close for non-graduating students at 8:00pm
- Monday, May 18, 2020: All Residence Halls Close for graduating students at 12:00 noon
Extreme Distance Students (5+ driving hours from campus): If you are a student who lives at an extreme distance, please see our FAQ for Extreme Distance Students page for more information as you make travel arrangements.
Break & Summer Housing
The Office of Residence Life & Housing provides break and summer housing to students who meet the required criteria (extreme distance, academic obligations, on campus employment, in-season student athlete, student teacher, international student). Learn more and submit applications below.
- Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring, and Easter Break Housing
- Senior Week/Commencement Housing
- Maymester & Summer Housing
During all breaks/vacations, the Office of Residence Life & Housing and the Physical Plant reserve the right to enter any student room/apartment for safety and maintenance reasons. Students are reminded that Providence College does not assume liability for loss or damage to the personal property of a student whether the College is in session or on holiday. If a resident is approved to reside in a location that is not their regularly assigned housing, they accept full responsibility to maintain and leave that location in a safe and responsible condition. Permission must be granted in writing by all the roommates of the temporary location. Applications for break housing open approximately 4 weeks prior to halls closing and can be found on eRezLife.
Any student found to be occupying campus housing without authorization during any part of the holiday breaks will be assessed a $200.00 per day penalty in addition to possible judicial sanctions. Residents who are approved for break housing are reminded that visitation ends at midnight every night of the break, no overnight visitors are allowed — regardless of whether or not they are enrolled at Providence College. Residents are reminded that if they do not follow established procedures for this period, they could be removed from campus for the remainder of the break period. The Providence College Student Handbook applies during break/vacation housing.