Extreme Distance Student Information

An “extreme distance” student is a student who is has a permanent address equal to or greater than 250 miles away.


1. Are extreme distance students able to return to campus early for breaks or move in?

Yes, generally we allow extreme distance students to come back one day early to accommodate your travel time.

2. Are extreme distance students able to stay after the halls close for breaks or move out?

Generally, yes. If you live in a building that is open over the break we typically will approve you to accommodate for your travel time. If you live in a closed building, we generally approve you for one night after our closing date/time. If you need to stay longer than that, we can work with you to find alternative housing in an open building. For more information about break housing, including a list of buildings that remain open during breaks, visit our Break Housing page.

3. How do I submit a request to return early/stay late? When am I able to do this?

The break housing request is generally available 4 weeks prior to the start of break and is available through the online housing system.  Log into your online eRezLife account to complete and submit the break request prior to the published deadline.

4. Where can I find out more about transportation service?

For more information on transportation/shuttles, please visit the Transportation Services site on the MyPC portal.

While the above is a guideline for students who live at an extreme distance, we understand that not all situations fall in line with our general timeline.  If you have any questions about the above, or need approval for a break before our application opens, please contact the Office of Residence Life & Housing at 401.865.2392.